Galatians 5:25; If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Romans 8:1; There is therefore no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
If you go into almost any Spirit filled church today and the speaker says “raise your hands if you need prayer”, the chances are a large majority of people will put their hands up. Many will have very pressing and serious needs that are not being met. Others will be discouraged, afflicted, financial oppressed, heartbroken, etc.
In many instances, the Body of Christ is worse off than those of this world.
The main reason for this is that Christians have forgotten they are in a spiritual battle. We are accused day and night before God because we are judged in this time, and not in that time to come. So every time we yield to the temptation of the flesh, we bring ourselves back under the law where we can come under legitimate attack and condemnation.
Galatians 5:16-24 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
What is the secret to walking in the Spirit? It is spending time with God in prayer and the Word. One thing is 100% certain and that is if a Christian is going through real hardship and damaging trial (not that which God allows to refine us to a higher level), we can be assure that their prayer life is not where it needs to be. If you are facing a such a trial now, you need to spend more time with God. How much is enough time? Are you praying an hour a day, 2hrs, 3hrs? Are you fasting? Have you taken leave from work and fasted and prayed unceasingly for a week or more for revelation or breakthrough?
Because if something is so afflicting and traumatic, it requires a supreme amount of intervention to get the breakthrough. You need to move something in the spiritual realm so the change can manifest in the natural. Every breakthrough has got to start with a spiritual victory. Natural efforts alone are doomed to failure. “shake heaven and the earth will move out of its place.”
Here are a few tips for breakthrough in prayer.
1. Always ask God to convict you what you are doing wrong? Sometimes bondages (those of our own or from our forefathers) are hard to discern because they are part of our character. In this regard a 3 day water / juice fast is very beneficial
2. Ask God what the cause of the trial is. Sometimes the symptom is far removed from the cause. Dealing with symptoms (such as sickness or loneliness) is a waste of time. Press in and pray until you start to receive conviction of the cause.
3. Getting revelation of sin / the cause of our distress must automatically lead to repentance and renouncing of related sin or behavior /actions/ thoughts.
4. Prevail in prayer and ask God to remove the effects of those past works, not only for yourself but for others that have been afflicted by this.
5. Ask God to establish a new way forward and give you the strength not to succumb to the same temptations again. (the devil will earnestly seek to re-establish his authority in this regard)
6. Stop complaining and talking about your troubles. It afflicts others and you are in fact prophesying and establishing the same affliction further into your future. Rather prophesy and declare the things you seek to happen and the changes you are trusting God for. After all, “God establishes the words of his servants”
7. Forgive others to the level you want God to forgive you. If you cannot pray blessing onto those that have harmed you, you are still in bondage and dare not expect anything from God. Prayer for those that have harmed you until you have the love of Christ for them. Only then have you really forgiven and being set free from your own bondage of un-forgiveness and bitterness. Anything else is delusion.
A prevailing issue for Christians is that we measure sin and determine who is more at fault in a matter. If you are suffering or afflicted, you need to deal with your own issues and not worry about the other person. If you are only 1% at fault, deal with that 1% and receive your breakthrough. Get yourself back in line with the Spirit and you will see breakthrough. If you get this right you will not need someone else to pray breakthrough into your life; you will be living in Spirit and establishing perpetual breakthrough.
The big questions are…..
Are you desperate enough and willing enough to sacrifice enough time and effort to hear directly from the Holy Spirit?
Are you humble enough to take stock of the state of your heart and make changes?
Will you persist no matter what you are feeling, thinking or being told by others?
Most of us aren’t and that’s why we need others to step in and pray for us. But is really is a very poor 2nd choice.